- Why Trees
- Give Trees
- Get Involved
- Intern / Volunteer
At Greenpop, we believe in (re)connecting people with our planet and with each other. Each year during June & July, our Zambia Festival of Action in Livingstone brings people together from around the globe to plant thousands of trees, learn, connect, give back, grow and get active.
Zambia has one of the highest deforestation rates in the world – in 2012 we started an ongoing tree planting and eco-education project around Livingstone. Through this project we aim to raise awareness about the area and be part of the solution. The Zambia Festival of Action happens annually to boost our ongoing project and encourage even more people to branch out and be the change.
11 176 trees planted | 97 planting days | 24 sustainability workshops | 7 educational wall murals | >50 handmade solar cookers | >10 handmade rocket stoves | 74 Tree Tuesday radio shows | 48 schools | 5 community farms | 1 reforestation site | 256 passionate planters from around the world
We’ve got 1 and 2 week placements available between 28 June and 19 July 2015. This year we’ve introduced a special Schools Programme (for ages 13 – 19 years) in the 1st week.
- Learn about our School Programme HERE (28 June – 5 July)
- Learn about our Festival of Action HERE (5 – 19 July)
You can also join us on other dates for our ongoing environmental and eco-education programme – email email@example.com
Fill in this quick booking form below to start the process of securing your space at the Festival of Action 2015.
BOOKING FORM – SCHOOLS WEEK
BOOKING FORM – OTHER WEEKS
Price for 1 week at Festival of Action: USD 650 / EUR 495 / GBP 395 / ZAR 4,450
Price for 2 weeks at Festival of Action: USD 1,195 / EUR 895 / GBP 750 / ZAR 8,350
PS: Registered university/college students get 10% student discount.
PPS: We also host a music festival during the Festival of Action called EARTH FEST (so if you’re a music lover, be to sure book for 2nd week of the Festival of Action so you get to enjoy Earth Fest too). Earth Fest (10 – 11 July) in Livingstone is a celebration of Heart and Soil!
Special last minute deal – book your space to the Festival of Action during the month of May 2015 and get a 10% discount (if you’re a university student you can add this to your student 10% and thus get 20% off). Unfortunately this does not apply to our schools programme.
BOOK FOR MAY MANIA NOW
To keep Greenpop Zambia up and running we need volunteers & we need trees – both are equally important to the project. Our Trees for Fees campaign allows you to raise funds for trees on Greenpop’s behalf from anywhere in the world and get your fees for the Festival of Action reduced or free. Become an activist, raise funds for trees and join us in Zambia in 2015.
- Learn about Trees for Fees HERE or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Watch the 2013 Festival of Action video by Makhulu above.
Watch all our Greenpop Zambia videos HERE
Zambia has seen rampant deforestation in recent decades, mainly as a result of bad land management, slash and burn farming methods, unsustainable logging and tree cutting for charcoal. According to the UN-REDD programme, Zambia has approximately 50 million hectares of forest, with an estimated deforestation rate of 250,000 to 300,000 hectares per year.
1. Create awareness around the deforestation issue and highlight grassroots solutions that can start being implemented
2. Develop a culture of planting trees within communities through conservation education, and by teaching people how to plant and look after trees
3. Highlight the global value of conserving the world’s natural forests
4. Promote and provide alternative energy sources, so that people can move away from the dependence on charcoal
5. Start reforestation in protected forest sites to replace the pioneer trees, allowing for new growth and regeneration of soil content
6. Educate children on their natural environment, and help feed them by planting fruit trees at under-privileged schools
7. Promote conservation farming methods to replace slash and burn techniques that will stop erosion and soil degradation, and create more cost-efficient farms
8. Start a micro tree nursery enterprise at a selected number of subsistence farms, so that we can provide farmers with an additional income by buying trees from them
9. Create an exciting and stimulating programme of practical work, lectures and workshops for local and international volunteers, through which everyone can share and learn and get actively involved in our environment.
You can contribute to our project by gifting a tree – or lots of trees. Every tree counts! You’ll be assigned a tree in Zambia and sent its GPS coordinates! Click the ‘Gift Trees’ tab to sponsor trees.
Get your company involved as part of your CSR programme or join us as an event sponsor for 2015. Find out what we can offer you in return – email email@example.com.
If you are thinking of getting involved, watch this. Jan McAlpine, Director United Nations Forum on Forests, addresses our Greenpop Zambia project and calls for partners to join us.
© Sarah Isaacs