- Why Trees
- Give Trees
- Get Involved
- Intern / Volunteer
Trees are the world’s single largest source of breathable oxygen.
The world has lost 80% of our original forests in the last decade
~United Nations Environment Programme
Let's start a culture of planting and replacing trees and let's have fun doing it.
• Trees give us much-needed oxygen and sequester carbon dioxide
• Trees increase biodiversity
• Trees fix nitrates into soil making it more fertile to grow other plants, like vegetables
• Urban tree planting improves pride of place
• Trees provide healthy and beautiful places for children to play and learn
• Fruit trees provide nutritious fruit to eat
• Trees improve an area's water quality
GOOD THINGS HAPPEN WHEN...YOU PLANT A TREE
Put simply, trees promote life. Not only do trees produce oxygen and sequester carbon dioxide, they also provide homes for animals, recharge groundwater, replace soil nitrates, prevent erosion and more. The addition of an indigenous tree to any environment will have countless environmental benefits.
1 in 5 South African children suffer from
chronic malnutrition. This can negatively affect concentration, ability to learn and school attendance.
Planting fruit trees at schools can aid with
In South Africa, there is huge disparity between ‘leafy’ privileged areas and ‘barren’ under-privileged areas. Urban greening improves pride of place in communities and has also been linked to reductions in social ills, like crime and drug abuse.
Money does grow on trees! Fruit and olive trees can provide produce that can be used in feeding schemes or sold by schools and communities. Indigenous trees increase property values and can provide natural air conditioning for homes and classrooms.
To ensure good tree maintenance, our beneficiary sites are monitored on an ongoing basis. The data collected helps us better understand the beneficiary’s needs, and gives us a good indication of our impact.
Because the survival of our trees is so important, Greenpop has an incentivised approach that allows beneficiaries to qualify for further trees, fruit trees and support based on their performance, interest and care of the initial trees.
Greenpop has partnered with the South African Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) and Kirstenbosch Education to offer certified courses on biodiversity and tree care for the teachers and garden staff at our beneficiary schools.
Greenpop’s Grey Water project has been very successful thus far. This sees school children watering their new trees with used water brought in from their baths or showers at home in 2-litre recycled bottles, saving water and teaching recycling.
PLANTING TREES HAS BENEFITS FOR YOU TOO. YOU WILL BE:
* Investing in a sustainable future – profits are no longer the only bottom line for companies. Investing in the future of our planet is an integral part of the triple bottom line for businesses
* Investing in a better future for South Africa – education is key in SA’s ongoing development. Investing in schools and making them more conducive to learning is an investment in the country’s future
* Leaving a lasting legacy
Every tree counts! Be part of the solution by gifting trees today. We'll send you a certificate with the GPS co-ordinates of
your trees. Gift trees now
Don’t underestimate the power of companies to make positive change. Book a team building plant day for your staff. Green a school. Get your hands dirty. Book now
Whether you’re an individual or a corporation, you can plant trees every month through Greenpop. Start your
own forest. Pledge trees